Wednesday 10 October 2012

Rookie Watch: 5 Busts for the upcoming NBA Season




While watching Rajon Rondo play for the Kentucky Wildcats (who were not a good team at the time by the way) I knew he was going to star in the NBA for years to come. Whenever I bring that up to people they always say things like "easy for you to say now Daly", or "no you didn't know that". I feel that I have an eye for talent coming out of the NCAA and I hope to prove it to you with this article and the one after. When I say 5 busts, I mean upcoming rookies in which their respective teams will have had very high hopes based on where they were drafted. Furthermore, I will publish my 5 steals of the draft on sunday at the normal time. Enjoy!

Let us begin with the busts.

1. Meyers Leonard/Illinois/Drafted No. 11 by the Portland Trail Blazers: 

What in the world was Portland thinking here. They drafted a potentially great point guard in Damian Lillard at #6. Now, they think they can pair up Leonard with Aldridge and hope Lillard can get him the ball and hope that Leonard can defend. The upside to Leonard is that he is young, tall and can shoot a bit. The downside is this isn't college basketball and he won't face soft centers like he did in the Big 10. One out two for Portland in this draft. Thanks for coming.

2. Tyler Zeller/North Carolina/Drafted No. 17 by the Dallas Mavericks & Traded to Cleveland:

When the Mavs drafted him I nearly crapped my pants. But, luckily Cuban had me going and traded him to the Cavs. I know I will receive a lot of grief from Tar Heel fans saying I'm bias because I'm a Duke fan. But, yet again we find a team trying to match their PG and PF with a complimentary center. I will give him one thing I think he's better than Leonard. Unfortunately, he is not his brother who will most likely enter the draft next year. Tar Heel fans should be thankful I don't put John Henson & Harrison Barnes on this list. 


3. Jeremy Lamb/Uconn/Drafted No. 12 by the Houston Rockets:

I will give Lamb one thing, he can fill the net. He is a good individual scorer which usually transfers well to the NBA but not in this case. He scored on a team where Kemba Walker created everything, creating easy shots for Lamb. This past year I think he showed his true colors. He doesn't shoot the ball at a high percentage and is easily convinced to put up 3 ball after 3 ball. He will get pushed around in the NBA and is no Kevin Durant. He might have a couple double digit games, but overall a bust. 

4. John Jenkins/Vanderbilt/Drafted No. 23 by the Atlanta Hawks:

You may be asking yourself why will Jenkins be a bust if he was drafted all the way down at No. 23. Just wait until you see my 5 steals list and then you will realize. Jenkins was a fantastic college basketball player but he can't shoot as well as J.J Reddick and will find it extremely difficult to get minutes and create for himself. I smell a D-League visit for the guy, making him my 4th Bust. 



5. Andre Drummond/Uconn/ Drafted No. 9 by the Detroit Pistons:

Saved the best for last. I had to put someone from the top ten on the list and I won't lie I was tempted to put Harrison Barnes on it. But, instead I went with Drummond because with all the upside to him he did not impress me with his development in his one year at Uconn. He was the same player from start to finish. Don't get me wrong he has a chance to be special. That being said how many times have we seen overhyped big men come into the draft and become busts. That's why I have three of them on this list. 



Stay tuned Sunday for the Daly Dose 5 steals of the 2012 draft. 

Written by:

Garrett Daly

Follow me @DalyGarrett













2 comments:

  1. Waiters is one that stands out to me. Agree on Lamb as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was in the top 3 out of the top 10. Another reassurance that I think the raps made a good draft choice.

    ReplyDelete